Friday, 6 February 2015

Novels I like

When it comes to books, I do not ever listen to other people's recommendations. The reason why is because I'm a fussy reader. I don't care if the book is the best seller or won 100000 awards, if it doesn't appeal to me then I won't read it. I have a certain taste when it comes to books. I really reading enjoy dark, disturbing stuff. Things people would consider messed up. I'm not a huge fan of romance unless it's messed up (not incest theme). I love emotionally damaged characters. They are so complicated and that sparks my interest as they got more stories to tell. I especially enjoy really it if their past is tragic. It makes me feel connected to the character as I just want to hold them. I like feeling sympathy. I'm starting to sound like a loony sadist. Anyways lets start the list. Not in any particular order of favourites. 

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS BECAUSE I'M A BIG MOUTH






1. Sharp objects by Gillian Flynn


Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.


Why I love it? Because it's written by Gillian Flynn, the same author of Gone Girl. The protagonist, Camille Preaker, is so emotionally damaged, I love it. She didn't grow up in an loving family, her younger sister died when she was 13 years old, her mum is a shitty and she's a cutter (cutting words on her body). Camille is so broken, it made me want to read sharp objects. I didn't just read it because of Camille, I stayed for the amazing plot. By the end I fear for Camille's mentality because damn that ending though. 




2. Dark places by Gillian Flynn
Libby Day, the novel's narrator and protagonist, is the sole survivor of a massacre in Kinnakee,Kansas, a fictional rural town. After witnessing the murders of her two sisters and mother, in what appears to be a Satanic cult ritual, she escapes through a window and later testifies in court against her teenaged brother.

Another dark novel by Gillan Flynn!! Libby Day, the protagonist, is depressed for the last 24 years since she was 7. I don't know what's up with Gillian Flynn's unlikable characters that makes me actually like them. If I met someone like Libby Day, I would stay away from her but she is so interesting I love it. I stayed for the plot of what actually happened on the night of the murder and who did it. I love the relationships in this novel. Libby/ Lyle,   Libby/her brother Ben, the Days'/ dad Runner. Same parts in the novel was so messed up, I enjoyed it so much. 



3. Gone girl by Gillian Flynn
It is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears.

The first novel that blew my mind. Yes I love all the novels Gillian Flynn wrote. Mainly for the unlikable characters that I like. I admire Amy so much for her brilliant mind. Like holy shit ahhhhh. It was so fun to read as it slowly unravels the messed up truth. After I finished reading, I wanted to read more similar books. I have to say this was a nice revenge plan.


4. Hitler's niece by Ron Hansen

Hitler's Niece tells the story of the intense and disturbing relationship between Adolf Hitler and the daughter of his only half-sister, Angela, a drama that evolves against the backdrop of Hitler's rise to prominence and power from particularly inauspicious beginnings.

Remember how I mentioned about enjoying disturbing novel? Well yeah here it is. I was interested to read on how messed up hitler was that it to lead Geri's suicide. Oh how my eyes opened. Before I started the novel, I just heard rumours about Hitler loving his niece a lot that it drove her mad. In the novel it turns out that he murdered her. While reading that part I was like "WTF THAT ISN'T WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!!" But it makes sense in way, the possibility of her being murder and I became obsessed with finding out the truth. Yeah some parts were fiction but damn were they nasty, especially the description of Hitler's body. It was too gross and funny the description of his penis being the size of a boy's pinky like OMG HAHAH. But yeah it was some serious messed shit. Very disturbing....



5. Close your eyes by Amanda Eyre Ward

For most of her life, Lauren Mahdian has been certain of two things: that her mother is dead, and that her father is a murderer.

Similar plot to Dark places where the accused is never guilty. Of course someone is bound to be the messed up character in the novel. Well Lauren the main character is scarred from the death of her mother and feels she is able to marry anyone even if she loves her boyfriend a lot. I really love her relationship with her brother that I did kinda ship them...  Anyways, you that one controlling manipulative bitch that no one really likes? Yeah she's the real pyscho villain that is later introduced into novel. Can't say I was really happy with the ending. It felt like as you are about to climax but it didn't happen, leaving you unsatisfied. Yea I was expecting dark places big climax ending but it ended like lazy............ But hey I still enjoyed the book because of the characters and "what actually happened on the night of the murder and who did it."




6. I'd know you anywhere by Laura Lippman

Eliza Benedict cherishes her peaceful, ordinary suburban life with her successful husband and children, thirteen-year-old Iso and eight-year-old Albie. But her tranquility is shattered when she receives a letter from the last person she ever expects—or wants—to hear from: Walter Bowman. 

The novel that made me realise I need to read more stockholm syndrome romance novel. I super duper enjoyed this novel. I was hoping Eliza (changed her name from Elizabeth) and Walter actually love each other but how sad.... Their chemistry was so good it could have ended good but nope. Walter had to rape her in the end and there's no going back from that. Yes this is the type of romance I like, messed up one like stockholm syndrome. The ending was not how I wanted it to end but it was the right thing to do. I was disappointed in Walter like bitch why you lie and act all good to Eliza just to save yourself. Man I thought he actually did love her.


7. Held by Edeet Ravel

Seventeen-year-old Chloe's summer vacation in Greece comes to an abrupt end when she is suddenly bound, gagged and whisked away to an unidentified location. Waking up from a drug-induced sleep, she finds herself in a squalid warehouse. 

Yep as I said earlier about Stockholm Syndrome. My guilty pleasure. Love it. Well I just love the hostage taker. My kind of man. Smart, nice, tall, good cook, caring nature like damn husband material right there. I don't know why but his emotionless and coldness is so HOT like whhaatttt. I guess it all about the mysterious type. Love the novel because of him. The girl is so annoyingly spoilt and whinny like please stop. The ending though, I thought was what? That's it? Like I didn't even get the find out his name, I didn't even find out what happened to him afterwards and the details of the released prisioner. Lets just say it was all good until the end. 



8. Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? 

When I started reading, it was written in second person to my displeasure, and I wanted to stop. It just reminded me of my old shitty fanfiction and I cringed hard. Glad I gave it a chance because ugh my feels. I absolutely love Ty. At this point I was waving goodbye to hostage taker in Held because I just felt Ty was way better and more affectionate. I just love stockholm syndrome with handsome male characters <3 What made me mad is that Ty continues to be nice to Gemma only to have her being difficult to him. Like that's understandable  but jeez right when she starts to feel something for him, she gets bitten by a damn snake and it ruined a cute relationship ahead. 
I'll be honest, I teared up and my heart broke at the end. In order to save her, he brings her to a hospital and hands himself over to the police why baaaabbbbbeeee why?? 
Ty is so emotionally damaged with a sad back story and all he wants is a companion. Yes thanks Lucy Christopher, I have feel stockholm syndrome for Ty. 
Even though I've live in Australia all my life, Stolen made me appreciate the Australian landscape. Wonderful book <3 Made me crack up at the penis painting. ◕ ◡ ◕



9. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov


Humbert Humbert - scholar, aesthete and romantic - has fallen completely and utterly in love with Lolita Haze, his landlady's gum-snapping, silky skinned twelve-year-old daughter. Reluctantly agreeing to marry Mrs Haze just to be close to Lolita, Humbert suffers greatly in the pursuit of romance; but when Lo herself starts looking for attention elsewhere, he will carry her off on a desperate cross-country misadventure, all in the name of Love. Hilarious, flamboyant, heart-breaking and full of ingenious word play, Lolita is an immaculate, unforgettable masterpiece of obsession, delusion and lust

One of those messed up relationship I enjoy reading. I have to admit, it is disgusting the relationship but in the end I didn't hate Humbert Humbert. It made me realise how brilliantly written it is to be able to manipulate me into feeling sorry for Humbert dirty mind. Like if you're an outsider who has yet to read it, who know what I mean. That's what happen when you get an unreliable narrator. Yes I enjoyed reading it a lot. Probably started reading it because I was hoping for Stockholm syndrome plot. I super love the style of how it's written. I don't know how to describe it's style...lyrical? poetic? It's so messed up, the mind of a predator. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Transparent Sexy Pink Heart